The second phase of SDLC is Analysis.
There are three steps in the Analysis stage:
- Understanding the old/current system(collect facts from existing users)
- Identifying how the old/current system can be improved (approach users and use different data gathering techniques)
- Developing specifications for the new system (what are possible solutions)
Data Gathering Techniques include:
- Traditional Methods [Interviews, Surveys, Observation and Studying Business Documents]
- Modern Methods [Joint Application Design, Prototyping and Group Decision Support Systems]
- Radical Methods [Business Process Re-engineering]
- Business Requirements Document
- Data Flow Diagram of Current System
- Entity Relationship Diagram of Current System
- The analysis phase addresses what can be done for the new system.
- The design phase will set out how it can be done in my next post.