According to ISTQB Exam Certification:
Advantages of V-Model are:
- Easy to use
- Simple to use
- Testing activities like planning, test designing happens well before coding.
- Time saving, quick
- Hence higher chance of success over the waterfall model
- Proactive defect tracking – that is defects are found at early stage
- Avoids the downward flow of the defects
- Works well for small projects where requirements are easily understood
Disadvantages of V-Model are:
- Very rigid
- Least flexible
- Software is developed during the implementation phase, so no early prototypes of the software are produced
- If any changes happen in midway, then the test documents along with requirement documents has to be updated
Use V-Model when:
- Small to medium sized projects where requirements are clearly defined and fixed.
- Sample technical resources are available with needed technical expertise.
High confidence of customer is required for choosing the V-Shaped model approach.