Now last week I talked about data visualization, this week I’m doing something a bit different and I’m going to write about Big Data. Forrester.com describes it as “Big Data is the frontier of a firm’s ability to store, process, and access (SPA) all the data it needs to operate effectively, make decisions, reduce risks, and serve customers.” Every day, 2.5 quintillion bytes of data is created and 90% of the data in the world today has been created in the last two years alone. This data comes from everywhere: sensors used to gather climate information, posts to social media sites, digital pictures and videos, purchase transaction records, and cell phone GPS signals to name a few. This data is big data. (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/bigdata/)
IBM is the main provider of Big Data software where you can manage this data and make it useful to decision makers so they can make informed decisions. The main services they offer are:
- Analytic Solutions: Comprehensive business analytics to deliver information-based insights into every process, decision, and action
- Visualization and Discovery: Discover, understand, search, and navigate federated sources of big data while leaving that data in place.
- Hadoop-based analytics: Store any data type in the low-cost, scalable Hadoop engine to lower the cost of processing and analysing massive volumes of data.
- Stream Computing: Continuously analyse massive volumes of streaming data with sub-millisecond response times for real-time action.
- Data Warehousing: Store and analyse large volumes of structured information with workload optimized systems designed for deep & operational analytics
- Text Analytics: Analyse textual content to uncover hidden meaning and insight in unstructured information
- Information Integration and Governance: Integrate, protect, cleanse, govern, and deliver your trusted information
Big Data is the future of information systems in today’s world and I think we should all learn more about it and be prepared for the information revolution which is going to occur in the next few years. In the below video “Shift Happens” it shows how quickly the world and technology has changed in the last number of years .
If you are interested in Big Data check out the following website for more information :