Software prototyping is the process of deigning working models of software applications. It is not a final draft but it used to ensure the system is running properly. Prototyping identifies problems and risks within the information system. They are incomplete versions of the end working systems.
Advantages of Prototyping
- Identifies problems that can be solved.
- Feedback on the project can given early on in the project.
- Design and efficiency can be improved on from the start.
- Can help to reach deadlines and keep end-users happy with the progress.
Rapid Application Development.
This is a type of software development which uses minimal planning. Instead it focus’ on creating prototypes, the planning in included in this but more actual work is done. There are four phases of RAD.
- Requirements Planning phase- Similar to that of other SDLC’s.
- User Design Phase – In this phase the users interact with the prototypes, Joint Application Design (JAD) is used in this phase.
- Construction Phase- Users suggest improvements and actual construction of the IS.
- Cutover Phase – Similar to the implementation phase of SDLC’s, the system is built.