well this is my second last post and i am going to cover the most common mistakes people and businesses make when constructing a Flowchart .This is a subject i haven’t addressed yet but my group members have mentioned briefly. I am going to add to their points and also make my own unique ones.
There are several common Flowchart mistakes. These can range from design to content and even the wrong colours. Here are the common mistakes I found :
- Scale = Many Flowcharts are re-sized to try and fit them into presentations on a single page. As a result these charts are unreadable. This is especially true in power point presentations. So the remedy is to fit the Flowcharts over multiple pages to rid the confusion.
- Excessive Colours = People often overdo colour and it takes away the real message of the Flowchart. Use colour but don’t let it distract the reader too much.
- Wrong Flow Symbols = use the correct shape of the symbols for their given action. I’ve spoken about this in previous posts. All shapes must be the same size to attain consistency. Otherwise the Flowchart will look uneven.
- Spacing Problems = Try to keep the spacing equal between every shape. This will make the chart look even the whole way through.
- Direction issues = Flowcharts should generally go in one of two directions. These are from left to right or more commonly top to bottom. Try not to mix the two and choose one. Connectors should be used when liking the shapes
This website was helpful.
Well I hope I’ve highlighted some of the major mistakes with Flowcharts. This should help you all to make better charts that can be read easily 🙂