There are many differences between flowcharts and DFD’s.
1. A flow chart details the processes to follow, whereas a Data Flow Diagram details the flow of data through a system
2. On a flow chart processes are shown one at a time, whereas with a Data Flow Diagram the processes operate at the same time.
3. Processes on flowcharts are part of a single program with consistent timing, whereas processes on a Data Flow Diagram can have dramatically different timing, eg. daily, weekly. etc.
4. A flow chart describes the program being used, whereas a data flow diagram determines the flow of data, eg. between subroutines, or between other different programs.
5. There are 2 types of Data Flow Diagram’s, logical and physical, whereas there are 4 different types of flowcharts: systems flowchart, deployment flowchart, top-down flowchart and logic flowchart.