Advantages of Spiral model:
- High amount of risk analysis hence, avoidance of Risk is enhanced.
- Good for large and mission-critical projects.
- Strong approval and documentation control.
- Additional Functionality can be added at a later date.
- Software is produced early in the software life cycle.
Disadvantages of Spiral model:
- Can be a costly model to use.
- Risk analysis requires highly specific expertise.
- Project’s success is highly dependent on the risk analysis phase.
- Doesn’t work well for smaller projects.
When to use Spiral model:
- When costs and risk evaluation is important
- For medium to high-risk projects
- Long-term project commitment unwise because of potential changes to economic priorities
- Users are unsure of their needs
- Requirements are complex
- New product line
- Significant changes are expected (research and exploration)